Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Smell of Coffee

Yesterday at Wallhouse Coffee, my absolutely favorite place to hangout and hold meetings, the owner was roasting coffee beans...yeah they actually roast them right there. Anyway when he took them out and emptied them into the barrel, the smell permeated the place. It was like so beautiful to my senses I found myself breathing deeply and closing my eyes and enjoying it so much that I actually felt like I was drinking a cup of coffee. What a great experience!

So here's the thought that God brought to my remembrance..I remembered a time when I actually smelled the presence of God-crazy huh! Well it was 9 years ago when I almost died from complications of a hysterectomy. My blood pressure was 40/0. Once they stabilized me they rushed me to Aultman hospital 30 minutes away. I had a pulmonary embolus, an enlarged heart and was full of blood clots. Six hours later the doctor would be standing in the doorway telling my husband there was nothing they could do for me. Everything they were going to do would most likely kill me. Over the next 10 days I would discover that the presence of God in a whole new way, one that could be accessed by all the senses.

Amazing what that smell of coffee permeating the coffee house did to my memory. So I'm back at Wallhouse today holding some meetings and there it is again - WOW.

No God doesn't smell like coffee....but it did make me want that kind of coffee experience to be the same with God permeating my very being activating all of my senses to his presence.

For a deeper intimate relationship with God I think this is a good thing.

I'm just a work in progress...but living in a win/win situation.

No comments: